"you say that people who can't express themselves, who feel as if they can't tell the world who they are, those people are driven to terrible sadness and can do terrible things to themselves and others...Something else you know, something else you learned from running: That solitary, hard life you spent so much time and energy building? It's not enough. It never was."
~ Bret Dunlap, Runners World
"Writing is the hardest work in the world. I have been a bricklayer and a truck driver, and I tell you -- as if you haven't been told a million times already -- that writing is harder. Lonelier. And nobler and more enriching." --Harlan Ellison
So you want to be a writer, huh? Well, as the old saying goes, a writer writes.
1. The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
2. Sin and Syntax by Constance Hale
3. Writeordie.com - it uses the stick (as opposed to the carrot) to get you to write regularly
If you've got that down and are looking for more help, the following resources might be of interest:
1. The American Society of Journalists and Authors - a trade association for freelance writers
5. The Guide to Literary Agents put out by Writer's Digest Books