Online dating is not fun or particularly effective. When Match.com commercials come on and the announcer says, "1 out of 5 people meet online," my instantaneous reaction is, "That's only 20%!"
Still, that isn't stopping folks from iterating on the model. Here is a list of the 2012 entrants.
4. CoffeeMeetsBagel (the twist here is only one match per day; playing the limited time/limited quantity e-commerce angle)
5. MyMatchmaker (here actual matchmakers do the matching)
6. How About We (still a traditional online dating site with profile but concept is to propose dates)
8. Hitch.me (this uses your LinkedIn account)
9. Tawkify (dating via the phone with screening of matches by real people)
10. MeSoFar (based in Chicago; dating by PowerPoint presentation - essentially flirting reduced quite literally to marketing)
11. Urban Girl Squad's Friend of a Friend Singles Party (based in NYC; modeled after Charlotte's "pass the trash" party)
There are, of course, a ton of dating sites out there, but these seem to be the new ones garnering buzz.