Social emotional well-being. What is it? That's a good question. It's my catch-all term for the many approaches to supporting soft skill development - specifically intrapersonal development like self-awareness, emotional regulation, the mind body connection and mindfulness, and interpersonal development like empathy/compassion, authenticity/vulnerability, effective communication and behavior change. At the root of most of these skills are emotions and a number of new companies have cropped up to address them.
There are, of course,
- mood tracking apps or emotion-aware apps
- more therapeutic focused approaches
- many meditation, mindfulness, gratitude, and bio-feedback approaches
- behavior tracking and analytics
- a host of EEG and neuro devices.
There have long been in-person programs that address social emotional learning for adults like Dale Carnegie, the Stanford Graduate School of Business' Interpersonal Dynamics or even The Landmark Forum, some newer entrants include:
I'm curious to see how these areas start to converge or not, and who wins with consumers.